Problems at Home

  • Problems at Home

    Sometimes, coming home from school can be hard. Problems at home can range from simply not getting along with your parents to abuse. Regardless of what challenges you might have at home, there are resources and help for you.

  • Fighting with Parents

    You’re tired of coming home and having your parents yell at you. You may feel that you can’t do anything right and that your parents are criticizing your every decision. It’s important to remember that this is a difficult time in your life for both you and your parents. While you are trying to grow up and figure out the world, your parents are trying to deal with your new need for independence while still trying to guide you. Here are some tips for how to understand and deal with fights with your parents.

    Your Parents are Fighting

    Maybe you’re not involved, but your parents are fighting all the time and it makes you upset. Hearing your parents argue with each other is hard because there is not much you can do. It is important to remember it is not your fault. Here is some help for how to deal with your parents fighting regularly.

  • My Parents are Getting Divorced

    Your parents getting divorced can be extremely upsetting and confusing. Whatever the reason may be, it is important to remember that it is not your fault. Adults may divorce for many reasons, anything from money, to abuse, to simply not loving each other anymore. It is possible to cope with divorce and move through it. Here are some resources to help you understand and get through your parents’ divorce.

    If your feelings are too much to handle, consider making an appointment with your school counselor. Or, make an appointment with one of these resources.

  • My Mom or Dad is an alcoholic and/or addicted to Drugs

    Is Mom or Dad constantly drinking? Popping pills you know they shouldn’t be taking? If you know or suspect your mom or dad is addicted to drugs or alcohol it can be difficult to know what to do. An addiction or alcoholism is a disease and needs to be treated as such. Read more about addiction here.

    Coping With an Alcoholic Parent –Teens Health

    Nar-Anon- support group for friends or family of those with substance abuse problems. 

    Wednesday 8-9:30pm through RCADD. At Nanuet Pavillon, 25 Smith Street Suite 101, Nanuet, NY.

    Families Anonymous- fellowship/support group for friends or family of those with substance abuse problems.

    Mondays 7:30-8:30pm through RCADD. At Nanuet Pavillon, 25 Smith Street Suite 101, Nanuet, NY.

    Alateen- support for families of problem drinkers

    Alateen Rockland- Alateen of Rockland has a support group that you can attend in order to cope with a parent or another relative’s drinking.

    845-727-2050- Rockland Information Line

    Meets in Nyack at St. Ann’s Church on Jefferson Street at 7:15pm on the 4th Monday of every month

    A safe place to talk with other teens who are dealing with similar issues

    Parents With Addictions -Safe Teens

    Consider making an appointment with your school counselor or contacting one of these resources if you need to talk or need help.

    If a parent is addicted to drugs or alcohol, this puts you at a higher risk for addictions throughout your life. Addiction has some hereditary components, meaning it can be passed on through genetics. It is important to be especially careful with drug and alcohol use if you have a parent who is addicted. Read more here: Real Teens Ask: Is Addiction Hereditary? -NIDA

    Help for them

    As much as you might want to help your mom or dad, if they do not want help there is often not much to do. However, you can try to help lead them in the right direction if they seem open to conversation.

    Helping an Adult Family Member or Friend with a Drug of Alcohol Addiction –Partnership for Drug-Free Kids

    How to Talk to an Older Person Who Has a Problem with Alcohol or Medications -Hazelden

    Do you feel unsafe?

    If you are considering running away, harming yourself or others, read our other sections and find someone to talk to. Make an appointment with your school counselor or contact one of these resources in Rockland.

    If you or someone else is in immediate danger, call 911.

  • I Want to Run Away

    If you are facing violence, abuse, or troubles at home or school you might be considering running away from it all.There are resources for you if you are considering running away from your home, if just to talk about it or if you need somewhere to go. Remember: this is a serious decision that has legal, emotional, and physical consequences.

    The Sanctuary- The Children’s Village

    A safe place to stay for runaway teens ages 12-17 in Dobbs Ferry, NY

    24 hour hotline if you want to talk, need help, or want a safe place to stay- 1-888-997-1583. Your transportation to the Sanctuary will be arranged.

    You can stay for up to 30 days and will receive supportive services during and after your stay.

    National Runaway Safeline

    Online chat, forums, text (66008) and 24 hotline 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929) can all provide you with a place to talk and help. They will not judge but are here to provide support.

    Can help you have a conversation with your parents about how you are feeling, even via a conference call between you, your parents, and the safeline.

    The Home Free program can help you get a free bus ticket home if you ran-away and want to come home. You will also receive support once home. Call 1-800-RUNAWAY (1-800-786-2929)

  • A Family Member Abuses Me

    Any type of abuse, emotional, physical, or sexual, is not okay and can be permanently damaging emotionally and physically. If you feel unsafe or scared, it is important to seek help right away. Here is some information on how to recognize abuse and how to get help.

    Abuse –Teens Health

    What is Family Abuse -Kids Help Phone

    What Can I Do? -Kids Help Phone

    Bursting the Bubble- this website has many helpful resources to identify abuse, listen to real stories, quizzes to see if you may be facing abuse, and a template to make a safety action plan.

    Because this website is not from the United States, many of the phone numbers and resources cannot be used from the US. Look here for resources that can help.

    Contact one of these resources to report your abuse. Remember to call 911 if you or another child or teen is in immediate danger

    County of Rockland Department of Social Services (DSS)- Child Protective Services

    • Investigates reports of child abuse
    • To report: (800) 342-3720

    Statewide Toll Free Number to Report Abuse

    • 1-800-342-37203

    Rockland County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children

    • Hotline: 845-735-2666
    • Will investigate and report incidences of child abuse
    • Support in Rockland

    Center for Safety and Change

    • 24/7 hotline- (845) 634-3344
    • 9 Johnstons Lane Main Walk-in Center New City, NY. 845-634-3391
    • 89 Hudson Avenue Haverstraw, NY. 845-304-9346.
    • Primarily for sexual assault and domestic violence but can help connect you to resources for any type of abuse.

    Here are other resources to talk about what might be going on at home and what to do about it:

    ChildHelp National Child Abuse Hotline:

    • 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453)
    • Can offer support, resources, answer questions, and help you report child abuse
    • Confidential

    National Sexual Assault Hotline

    • 1-800-656-HOPE (1-800-422-4673)
    • Can offer support, local health facilities that can care for survivors of sexual assault, and information about laws
    • Confidential unless the caller agrees to report a case, or if obliged by law
    • Online one-on-one confidential chat is also available:
  • My Mom/Dad/Sibling Has Cancer

    If someone you love gets a diagnosis that they are sick with cancer or another concerning illness, it can be devastating. While cancer does not always mean death, it can still be difficult to watch someone go through the treatment and struggle. Here are some ways you can work through your feelings. If you feel like you need to talk to someone one on one, try one of these counseling resources or make an appointment with your school counselor.

  • My Mom/Dad/Sibling Died

    When someone close to you dies, it is normal to feel grief among other emotions. This can be a difficult process. Read here how to cope with grief and the loss of someone close to you. Also be sure to consider some of these counseling resources or meeting with your school counselor to talk.

    General Counseling Resources

    Friends and family can be great to rely on when you need to talk. They want to see you healthy and happy. If you need more professional help or want impartial guidance, these counseling locations and hotlines might be helpful.

    Remember you can always make an appointment to speak with your school counselor.

    Here are some hotlines you can call for help:

    Rockland County Crisis Hotline-

    • (845) 517-0400 or (Toll Free) 1-844-255-BHRT (2478)
    • Behavioral Health Response Team will listen to your issues and connect you with care in the community

    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline-

    • 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
    • For Spanish speaking:1-800-628-9454
    • Will connect you with a trained counselor in the area who will listen to your problem and tell you about nearby services
    • Available 24/7
    • Can help you with any type of problem, not just suicidal thoughts
    • Confidential and free

    The Trevor Project LGBTQ Lifeline

    • (866) 488-7386
    • For LGBTQ teens who may be struggling with problems and thoughts of suicide. Will connect you with a trained volunteer.


    • Online chat service to serve LGBTQ teens
    • Available 7 days a week from 3pm-9pm ET
    • TrevorText- Text “Trevor” to 1-(202) 304-1200
    • Available on Fridays 4pm-8pm ET
    • Standard text messaging rates

    New York State Hopeline


    • Available 24/7
    • For alcoholism, drug abuse, or gambling addictions
    • Trained doctors in multiple languages
    • Will talk with you about your problems and refer you to further treatment

    Here are some in-person counseling services throughout Rockland for teens:

    CANDLE Drop-In Counseling

    • Free short-term counseling sessions to just talk about any issue
    • Residents of Orangetown can walk in or make an appointment at- The Nyack Center 58 Depew Ave Nyack, NY Mon 5:30pm-8:30pm

    Rockland County Dept of Mental Health

    • 50 Sanatorium Road, Building F Pomona, NY
    • Child & Adolescent Mental Health Clinic for treatment for mental health problems. Call: (845) 364-2200
    • Assessment and referral to treatment for mental health services

    Haverstraw Center

    • Call or speak with someone at the center for information on counseling services.
    • (845) 429-5731

    VCS Inc.

    • 77 South Main Street New City, NY
    • Families in Need of Support (FINS)- In-school counseling for teens with behavioral problems or distress. Contact your guidance counselor or other school staff to be referred. Call (845) 634-5729 ext. 318
    • Mental health clinic for those 18+: (845) 634-5729

    Mental Health Association of Rockland County, Inc. (MHA)

    • 140 Route 303 The Senator Morahan Wellness Center Valley Cottage, NY
    • (845) 267-2172
    • The Self-Health Clearing House provides information and referral to self-help and support groups in the community.
    • Monthly teen support group for teens with emotional disabilities

    Mental Health Association of Westchester (MHA)

    • Hilltop Elementary School 20 George Street Haverstraw, NY
    • Former Nyack High School 131 N Midland Ave Nyack NY
    • Mental Health Clinic service for adolescents.
    • Call (914) 345-0700 ext7350 for an appointment
    • (845) 634-5729 ext. 318

    *For more specific counseling, see specific sections