“Mental health…is not a destination but a process. It’s about how you drive, not where you’re going.” –Noam Shpancer
Sometimes life is stressful. There are a lot of things to think about: school, home life, your friendships. If you’re feeling overwhelmed here are some tips to de-stress: Stress and Coping Center –Teens Health
For advice on what stress is, how to deal with all types of specific stressful situations, and tips on how to relax.
- Teens and Stress: How to Keep Stress in Check –American Psychological Association
- Teen Stress: Tips on Managing Daily Stress –Massachusetts Medical Society Alliance
- Test Anxiety -Teens Health
Help for Stress Related to School and Tests:
Yoga and meditation are a great way to de-stress! Check out these tips to relax.
If you think your negative thoughts or feelings are more than just stress, check out the help on these pages.
Self-Esteem and Body Image
You should feel good about yourself! While nobody is perfect, each and every person has great qualities that should make them feel good about themselves. Having a hard time finding those qualities? Feeling down about your body, appearance, intelligence, or social skills? Check out these tips to make you feel proud of who you are!
When You Want to See a Counselor
If the stress feels like too much and you need someone to talk to besides your family or friends, you can make an appointment with your school counselor who will be willing to help you, direct you to further help, or just listen to you talk. It is important to seek help if you are feeling overwhelmed or any thoughts of suicide. These people are here to help.
If you are unsure about how to broach the subject with your parents and would like some advice, please visit: How to Tell Your Parents You Want to See a Counselor -Counseling for Teens
Hotlines and Resources
Here are some hotlines you can call for help:Rockland County Crisis Hotline
- 845-517-0400 or (Toll-Free) 1-844-255-BHRT (2478)
- Behavioral Health Response Team will listen to your issues and connect you with care in the community
- 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- For Spanish speaking:1-800-628-9454
- Will connect you with a trained counselor in the area who will listen to your problem and tell you about nearby services
- Available 24/7
- Can help you with any type of problem, not just suicidal thoughts
- Confidential and free
For LGBTQ teens who may be struggling with problems and thoughts of suicide. Will connect you with a trained volunteer.
- Online chat service to serve LGBTQ teens
- Available 7 days a week from 3pm-9pm ET
- Text “Trevor” to 1-202-304-1200
- Available on Fridays 4pm-8pm ET
- Standard text messaging rates
- Available 24/7
- For alcoholism, drug abuse, or gambling addictions
- Trained doctors in multiple languages
- Will talk with you about your problems and refer you to further treatment
In-Person Counseling Services in Rockland
Here are some in-person counseling services throughout Rockland for teens:
- Free short-term counseling sessions to just talk about any issue
- Residents of Orangetown can walk in or make an appointment at- The Nyack Center 58 Depew Ave Nyack, NY Mon 5:30pm-8:30pm
- 50 Sanatorium Road, Building F Pomona, NY
- Child & Adolescent Mental Health Clinic for treatment for mental health problems. Call: 845-364-2200
- Assessment and referral to treatment for mental health services
- Call or speak with someone at the center for information on counseling services.
- 77 South Main Street New City, NY
- Families in Need of Support (FINS)- In-school counseling for teens with behavioral problems or distress. Contact your guidance counselor or other school staff to be referred. Call 845-634-5729 ext. 318.
- Mental health clinic for those 18+: (845) 634-5729.
- The Senator Morahan Wellness Center
- 140 Route 303 Valley Cottage, NY
- 845 267-2172
- The Self-Health Clearing House provides information and referral to self-help and support groups in the community.
- Monthly teen support group for teens with emotional disabilities
- Hilltop Elementary School
- 20 George Street Haverstraw, NY
- Mental Health Clinic Service for Adolescents
- Former Nyack High School 131 N Midland Ave Nyack NY
- Call 914-345-0700 ext7350 for an appointment